Pages

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Establishing Meeting


Today I met with my tutor Mr James Michie, a Media and English Teacher. We discussed the initial ideas and elements that were needed. Some of the areas that we discussed were my investigation question (which needs to be drilled down and refined): "To what extent do we live and exist within the novel, George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four?" We considered some areas that might be good to research, these being thematic research: what influenced Orwell to write Nineteen Eighty-Four? Current articles and/or studies (state of society) as well as primary research (e.g. surveys and interviews) and current philosophies. 

When undertaking research whether that be primary or secondary I need to consider whether I have an open criticism and an objective point of view, as my question deals with people's beliefs which might conflict with my own beliefs. This is essential as being biased will interfere with the research and consequently the research results.        

The plan for the next week is to keep reading the novel; making notes, and to fill out the "Project Progression Record" & "Verification of topic and Title". When I have completed reading the novel we (Mr Michie and I) will meet again to discuss/debate ideas, themes and our own interpretation of Nineteen Eighty-Four.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful with your wording / use of language.

    What do you mean by 'do we exist within the novel'?

    Do you mean is our world a 'reflection' of the world depicted in 1984?

    ReplyDelete