Pages

Friday 24 February 2012

Key areas of Identification for Further Investigation



To progress from two weeks ago, I have finished reading the novel and also have written up my initial findings and response to Nineteen Eighty-Four. As well as considering areas of interest for further investigation. (See Below) Mr Michie has checked over this and has also sent it out to other people who he knows might have some other elements or ideas for me to consider.

In our meeting this week me and Mr Michie have discuss George Orwell's theories on society and how they are ill-conceived. As his argument is not based on reality as people can not practice doublethink in the way he is arguing. Citizens are not passive to government or media influence, in fact they are active, they will "rise up" against the state.  An example of this is the uprising in egypt against the government, where as in Orwell's novel this is ignored to focus of the idea of control. 

We also identify the areas that I will focus my essay on and also carry out further investigation as well. These areas are:

- Doublethink
- "War in Peace"
- Alliances

For next week I am to read two wikipedia articles one about "Doublethink" and the other about "Newspeak". I am also going to read an article that is about the London Riot by David Buckingham and how the media constructed the publics opinion. This will help me to start to understand different ideas and other arguments for my essay. I can begin to use these as evidence either for or against the argument that world we live in if a reflection of the world depicted by Orwell. I also need to find the defintion of the word "Hyperreality", which will help me to investigate postmodernism.

During next weeks meeting I am to discuss my findings as from the wikipedia articles and how thay has help me to better understand some of the ideas the George Orwell presents in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment